Snail Mail

Boo's only means of communication off Bikarej is via Mail. She'd love to recieve letters from everyone!

Boo Flynn
c/o World Teach
PO Box 627
Majuro, MH 96960
Republic of Marshall Islands

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Unbound Bookmaker Project

Hi Mom and Dad,
I have a little bit of free time so I wanted to e-mail you whil I'm downtown.  We just had a session from the unbound book project, which was really cool.  Basically every volunteer is going to choose a class to work with to make a book on a certain topic.  I chose the topic creatures of the RMI.  The kids write and illustrate it, then we translate it to Marshallese and bring everything back during mid-service so it can be assembled on the computer.  The Unbound Bookmaker Project is working on gettting funding so we can give a copy to each of our students.  All the books will be sold on Amazon after they're made.  It will be a lot of work but I'm really excited about it.

Note:  for more information on the  Unbound Bookmaker Project go to the following link:  http://www.unboundbookmaker.com/the-unbound-bookmaker-project.html

I got to ride on an outrigger canoe on Saturday!  It was so fun, and I have a few pictures.  The water is really really blue, and the ride is so smooth because the boat is so well-built.  It fit 2 marshallese men, me, and another volunteer. 

People start leaving for their placements on Friday!  I don't leave til the 8th, so I have to wait around a little.  I'm getting a little nervous now, but I'm still really excited to get to my placement.  People keep telling me that the kids and women there will love the friendship bracelets!  Also, the women love volleyball so I plan to bring some with me.  I played volleyball with some neighborhood kids and it was really fun.

 I should go so I can get to lunch in time, but I miss you and think about you all the time!

Boo

No comments:

Post a Comment