Snail Mail

Boo's only means of communication off Bikarej is via Mail. She'd love to recieve letters from everyone!

Boo Flynn
c/o World Teach
PO Box 627
Majuro, MH 96960
Republic of Marshall Islands

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Our 1st e-mail from Boo


From: "Frances Flynn"
Date: Jul 19, 2012 1:10 AM
Subject: Re: Edies cell
To: "Beth Flynn"

Hi mom! Sorry I don't have long because the bus is picking us up soon.  I'm having such an amazing time here.  I feel so relaxed and I love sitting back and learning things that I'm genuinely interested in.  We had our fifth language lesson today and it was so fun.  I love mashallese!  Oh and the other day I got Peter's autograph!!!!!! (NOTE:  Peter is the Author of the book "Surviving Paradise")  He lives downtown, so we saw him walking by when we were in a language lesson.  Todd and Ken, the field directors, pointed him out and everyone told me to get his autograph because they know I want to get it but was too shy last time.  He was walking away though so Todd just yelled his name and told him to come over because he has a fan that wants his autograph and he signed my book!  I told him about aunt kathys book group and he laughed and said he hopes she likes the book.



I leave for Bikarej around the 8th, which is one of the last days that volunteers will be leaving.  Ken is riding over with me on a boat.  He was the one who wrote the letter about my placement.  He stayed there last summer.  He said I have to wade to the island to go to school, but don't worry because all my host brothers and sisters will want to walk with me and will want to carry my stuff for me.  I can't wait!  And I might get to learn to weave baskets, fans, hats and things but I'm not sure yet.



School is going to be so awesome!  I met a few outer island kids yesterday, and they are so sweet.  They are much quieter than the Majuro kids.  They are very shy, and we were told never to single them out in class because they will be mortified.  Also girls are too shy to work in groups with boys.  Classroom management will be a learning process!!! 



I'll probably eat some wird things too.  Peter said he ate a bunch of fish stomachs one day.  He also said the stuff you squeeze out of a crab is really tasty.  Todd said one day he told his host mom he hated this one dog, and the next day the family served it to him for dinner!!! He showed us a picture of its boiled head.  Todd also said that he was so tired of the food that when his mom sent him craising, he opened the package and started weepeing!!! He's really funny and kind of a drama queen so I'm sure I won't get to that point. 



I miss eveeryone so much!  Sorry I don't have time to message you.  Will you call me on Sharlen's phone on Saturday (which is sunday for me)?  7am my time, 3pm your time?
We have a cookout at the beach on saturday where the snorkling should be awesome.  Miss you!  Don't forget to pack things in tupperware (tind may be better) before you send them and fill out a customs form!  I just bought 100 stamps so I'll write soon! 



Love,

Boo

No comments:

Post a Comment