Snail Mail

Boo's only means of communication off Bikarej is via Mail. She'd love to recieve letters from everyone!

Boo Flynn
c/o World Teach
PO Box 627
Majuro, MH 96960
Republic of Marshall Islands

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Getting Ready for Bikarej


Hi Mom and Dad! 

 
If you decide to send a care package any time, here's a few things that would be useful:

More friendship string
Mad Libs (for teaching grammar)
Sign language alphabet or dictionary
No rush on these things, they're just some ideas I had!  Eveeryone loves the friendship string so I've been sharing a lot and making people bracelets.

Do you want to call me at 3:00 on Wednesday?  That's 7am Thursday for me, and it will be right after my first day of practicum so I'll be able to tell you about it.  Practicum is basically practice teaching.  We are in groups of 4, and teach 3 hours a day for 3 days.  Our lesson is on patterns.  Basically the way we get students is we go out in the street and offer them candy if they stay for the lesson.  You could never do that in the US, but the Marshallese love it!!! It will be pretty rocky I think, because we could have children of all ages, and it will be hard to adjust to their learning styles, but at least I'll learn a lot! 

Today I have 3 hours of free time in town so I have a lot of shopping to do.  There are tons of things we need to get that we just found out about, like toilet paper, detergent, tupperware, packing tape, etc.  The packing list was not very thorough so people are pretty  frustrated.  I'm lucky because I am one of 4 people who has already opened a bank account here.  It's mandatory, but takes FOREVER!!! There's always a huge line at the bank.  I got it done with a friend really early on, so I can use today to shop.  Everyone else is waiting in line at the bank, and probably will be for the next 3 hours. 

We were talking about extracurriculars last week and I want to try to have a book club after school so kids can make their own books.  I also want to organize basketball tournaments because of the new court.  At the end of the year, when I come home, I'm going to try to make a children's book about the life of a Marshallese child.  They're easy to make online, and I think it would be really cool to send back to Bikarej, and to use in Ghana and my classes when I'm a teacher. 

I just put a letter in the mail addressed to the cottage!  I don't know who will still be there when it gets there, but I thought I would send it there for fun. 

Mom, are you preparing any more for your trip?  Have you been biking a lot?  Dad, I hope work isn't too stressful. 

I hope all's well!  I love you and miss you!

Boo

No comments:

Post a Comment